islam (and religion) in america

Professor Sherman Jackson’s lecture last week was mind-opening in the sense that I experienced a scholarly perspective on Islam and it’s role and position of opportunity in America. With what little I know about Islam and its people from often biased media viewpoints, it was interesting to hear the professor not speak defensively about Islam in light of global news, but speaking as one who looked past such events. From what I understood, his lecture was primarily about what followers of Islam should do as disciples of their religion, in the context of American society.

The professor spoke much about the American common good, and how Muslims could also contribute to it without abandoning their religion. One of his intentions seemed to be to dispel the notion that it is difficult for Muslims to both maintain the pillars of their religion and be proactive Americans. Instead, he promoted the idea that the pillars of their religion could also help uphold the common good and interests of America. I appreciated this idea, as it seemed apparent that this concept could be seen as a cooperative link between the major religions of America.

One thing that I would have liked to be different about the lecture, was Professor Jackson’s method of delivery. Given his experience, he definitely seemed to be a charismatic speaker. I felt that I would’ve had a better experience and would’ve been able to understand more if he had delivered an unscripted lecture, as opposed to reading directly from his papers. I felt as though he were reading one of his books to us, rather than giving a lecture.