Blast from the Past

I remember wanting to go to this trip last year, but not being able to! That’s why I’m so glad this year it was offered again. I used to want to become an ornithologist when I was in elementary school. I had a pen pal in the 2nd grade whom I wrote to all the time about birds. She surprised me in person with a book about birds one day, telling me that I should definitely pursue becoming an ornithologist if that was what made me happy. It’s funny how things turn out completely different from how you first imagine it… but this trip brought back many memories from elementary school and I’m really glad I went this year.

Aside from all the nostalgia, it was refreshing to be able to walk on the trail and experience what it’s like to bird-watch, since I had never done it before (despite having wanted to become an ornithologist). I just wish I knew in advanced so I could have worn the right footwear to the trip! And it would have been nice to bring/buy binoculars. It was really interesting that there now existed applications that helped bird-enthusiasts ease into bird-watching by helping them identify specific bird species based on size, color, location, etc. I felt that the outdoor part of the trip was marginally more interesting than the lab part. I wasn’t too interested in the research behind all of it as I was with the actual act of hearing and seeing the birds, which means it was probably a good thing that I didn’t end up pursuing ornithology! Nonetheless, I really enjoyed the trip overall and I would love to visit the lab again on my own time!

One thought on “Blast from the Past

1. I remember going to this event last year. It was definitely one of my favorite Rose events!! I don’t know if you got the chance to do this, but there’s a tiny theater where you can watch mini bird documentaries of your choice. The videos were incredible and a great supplement to the nature trail!