DREAMers and the DACA

Last week Wednesday, I attended the Rose Scholars event with guest speaker Esmeralda Arrizon-Palomera. The topic of the discussion was the DACA program and DREAMers. Prior to this event, I never heard of the DACA act or DREAMers. Having grown up in Hawaii, undocumented people are not really an issue as it is probably impossible for them to get to Hawaii undocumented. I never really had thought of the dilemma that would arise from undocumented immigrants bringing in their children to the U.S. I do not think that it is fair for the children to have to suffer for something that their parents did. While the DACA program is definitely helpful for these individuals, I think that more action is required to help those eligible for DACA become full time citizens. If these people do meet the requirements for DACA I think that they would make decent citizens and should have the opportunity to become “documented” citizens of the United States. The United States is the land of opportunity and kids who were brought into the U.S. should not have to pay the price of their parents’ mistakes with their future. Overall it was a very enjoyable event as it is not everyday that you learn about a topic that you have never heard of before nor ever thought existed. I guess this also speaks to how secluded Hawaii is as a state from the rest of the U.S.