Allowing Everyone to DREAM

This evening I had the chance to hear GRF Esmeralda talk to us about the DREAM Act, which provides undocumented youth the opportunity to become educated and productive members of American society. I was moved by this talk because I am an immigrant myself and have experienced my fair share of challenges; these undocumented students not only have a wide array of challenges that arise from immigration, but also those that stem from being illegal. Esmeralda elaborated on the notion that these children are not responsible for their parents’ actions, and the DREAM Act serves as an amnesty to them.

I am glad that the DREAM Act affords undocumented youth the chance to become U.S. citizens and therefore realize their full potential. Without citizenship, these students can not only be eligible for federal employment and benefits, but also receive financial aid for college and benefit from tax laws. In addition to these advantages, their sense of security will perpetuate a more positive environment in America. Esmeralda showed us a quote by an immigrant named Tam Tran, who said, “I hate filling out forms, especially ones that limit me to checking off boxes even I don’t identify with.”  The DREAM Act serves to curtail these inconveniences that prevent undocumented youth from achieving success.

I also liked the image with the caption “Pass the DREAM Act” that Esmeralda showed us. Its emphasis on importance of education among these youth, not the negativity about immigration, deeply resonated with me. I hope that the DREAM Act will fuel further reforms in regards to helping undocumented youth. It inspires loyalty and a strong work ethic to our country, which are qualities that will bolster the American economy.

Overall, I learned a lot from Esmeralda. I hope to talk to her more about her opinions about future reforms when I see her in Rose House!

3 thoughts on “Allowing Everyone to DREAM

1. There has been much social media coverage on the negatives of illegal immigration. So I really liked your blog that shines light on the hope, and positive side of immigration.

2. I really wanted to attend this event, but was unable to. I’m glad you provided such a rich response to the event, and I completely agree with Esmeralda that these children are not responsible for their parents’ actions. We have a stigma attached to the idea of being an illegal immigrant or the child of an illegal immigrant, but there’s another side to the story, and I’m glad something like the DREAM Act is being proposed and talked about.

• What kind of further reforms do you think should be implemented? I agree that the stigma needs to be reduced if not eliminated. To be an immigrant is difficult enough, and to also be illegal brings a sense of shame to these children.