salsa in our seats

A fair amount of the Rose Scholars events I go to are concerts at Bailey. Firstly, they’re usually at a time of the week that I can go to. They’re also great because the program will give us tickets to go see some amazing performances. But above all, I love going because music is one of the most important aspects of my life.

The previous musical performances I had seen at Bailey were lovely classical programs. As a pianist myself, I really enjoyed hearing the familiar pieces played by professionals. However, there’s a certain atmosphere at classical concerts. It’s a more serious, sedate sort of event, in which everyone is there to enjoy the music but you feel like if you cough everyone will glare at you. The music itself is so calming and beautiful that just by sitting in your chair you begin to doze a little in that warm hall, letting the music surround you like a warm blanket.

Last night’s concert couldn’t have been more different. The Spanish Harlem Orchestra came on stage and, from the first note of their opening song, I felt the music hit me like a wave of sound. The salsa flowed through the room, filling everyone with its toe-tapping, head-bobbing delightful melodies. This concert was really fantastic because not only did people really enjoy the performance in their seats, but all around the aisles and balconies there were also people dancing and having a great time.

While dance and the atmosphere are such an integral part of the salsa experience, the music itself is no easy feat to perform either. The complexity of the rhythms is such that I was surprised anyone could understand the sheet music they were playing, much less perform it with such gusto. As often is the case with salsa, the rhythm syncopates and jumps around off beat, until it suddenly snaps on beat, somehow continuously keeping perfect time while meandering everywhere. The orchestra’s jazz-influenced sounds added depth to their traditional salsa ensembles, with ballads and instrumental tracks rounding out the solid setlist they brought to the stage. When the three vocalists hit those chords with perfect, resounding harmonies, or when the bass player’s pizzicato echoed in the hall, I felt chills with how much I enjoyed the music.

This was the most fun I’ve had at a concert this year, and I’m so glad I got to be a part of such a fantastic experience.

One thought on “salsa in our seats

1. Emily, it sounds like the concert was a blast! I liked the different perspectives that you approached this experience from. It allowed me to relate to you as a musician, to your fellow audience members, and to the musicians on stage. What a great feeling to be so engaged in the music and atmosphere of the performance! Given the fast pace of the music genre, I could just imagine how lively the whole experience must have been. I would be curious to know if this has inspired you to want to learn how to dance salsa (if you do not already know how) or if it has inspired you to want to explore playing other genres of music (if you have not already done so).