Look in the Mirror…

“You see that guy staring back at you? That’s your toughest opponent. I believe that’s true in the ring and I think that’s true in life.” – Rocky Balboa in Creed

For most of my life, I took quotes like this to heart. They were apart of the grit I believed to be necessary for my success. So much of my attention was on being the best that I could that I never thought to think of the flip side. Yes, the quote is originally intentioned for one to understand that once they move every internal doubt, they can conquer anything! However, the flip side is that one could slip into the longest fight of her life, by fighting solely with herself. No one tells you that drive like this can lead you off the rails.

Why not? Well, I suppose it’s because there are only a small percentage of individuals who become their toughest opponents in a detrimental way. Or maybe it’s because no one talks about the stories that do not succeed.

Regardless, Creed was an amazing film. It truly captured this quote with the ending. He didn’t win the battle against his opponent, but he definitely began to win the battle within himself. The battle that was tied to his insecurities, fear of being in his father’s shadow, as well as taking the risk to step out on a limb and pursue his dream.

This movie reminded me that most people will be their toughest opponents, through the perspective of Adonis Creed. However, this movie also reminded me that I do not have to be my toughest opponent forever and that there will come a time for me to help someone overcome their battle within, through the perspective of Rocky Balboa. The quote above was a man who had faced his toughest opponent, and willing to help someone else through a similar battle.

creedmirrorimage

2 thoughts on “Look in the Mirror…