Bittersweet

Last Saturday, I attended The Science Behind Inside Out event. I had seen the movie once before, but I was excited to see it again. Prior to ever watching the movie, I had heard all the buzz on how psychology was implemented. This was very clear to me once I saw the different personalities of the characters, each representing some of the core human emotions. Upon watching the movie the second time and in the context of the science focus, I was able to pick up on a lot more details that I had missed the first time. In a way, I was primed having read the suggested NY Times opinion article (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/opinion/sunday/the-science-of-inside-out.html), but I was also able to utilize my Human Development background.

Majoring in Human Development, and having taken Infancy and Childhood with House Fellow and Associate Professor Tamar Kushnir in my freshman year, I was really interested to hear her perspective on the movie. Her area of expertise is on early childhood cognition. Through the discussion after the movie, I was reminded of how little is known about emotion and that researchers are looking into brain scans as a way to uncover more. I think that it is fascinating that from the moment we are born, we are able to express our innate emotions. Over time, we develop our awareness and acknowledgement of our emotions, and through culture, this may be cultivated in different ways. Since we are largely made up of our parents’ personalities and reactivity mechanisms, our genetics and upbringing can influence how and which emotions we express. Along the way, we gather our own experiences, as well, which contributes to how we formulate our own mechanisms.

Professor Kushnir made a very interesting statement about how our emotions often dictate our decision-making and logic. As an extremely emotional person, I would agree. For me, it is very difficult to separate head from heart. This past weekend, my grandmother passed away. It still has not sunken in yet. She lived an extremely long and happy life. No matter the trial or tribulation, she always bounced back, always put her family first – she was the strongest woman that I know. Towards the end of her life, she was very ill, though my family did not know. She was not in pain and her passing was very peaceful. Therefore, in my head, I know that she is now more comfortable and in a good place, but in my heart, it has been difficult to accept. For the past two decades of my life, my grandmother has been a constant presence in my life. She will continue to be. Just like in the movie, it has been a bittersweet moment. One of a mix of feelings. Everyone needs a constant combination of emotions in order to truly appreciate life and to be whole. To my Grandma, thank you for teaching me how to be sensitive and tough, tame and fiery, simple and complex. Thank you for always being there for me, for inspiring me to really feel and to be brave, for allowing me to love you and for loving me back.