The Cookie

I never actually take the time to focus on my vagina, just like the story of the old woman who had to “discover” her vagina after years of unfamiliarity. It is just something that I know is there, and I was timid about talking about the in and outs of the region. The Vagina Monologues provided the type of female empowerment that seems to be missing or that is in the forefront with demolishing double standards. For example, right now, Amber Rose is a noteworthy individual who is for the cause of female sexual empowerment. Just like Amber Rose’s efforts, the event made it a safe space to explore female sexuality and for women to be comfortable in their sexuality.

The show showed the female sexuality goes beyond pleasing a partner, and should and also be about getting pleasure oneself. And we should feel comfortable in our bodies, all parts including those that we are taught to hide and keep a secret. What I got from the show is that if we as women need to learn to undue the damage that society has had us believe about our sexual experiences with the opposite and the same sex. I think it is very important to address these issues because they go hand in hand with self-esteem, confidence, and self-image.

Lastly, I wanted to highlight some of my favorite performances. I really appreciated the scene with the different types of moans. The actresses made comments about how they felt the need to deter the moaning, particularly with the opposite sex. So to get the audience comfortable with the act of moaning and get us to believe that moaning, is in fact a normal effect that comes with great pleasure. It should not be fake, and should just be a sound that comes out comfortably.