Momentum never dies

Last week I had the pleasure of hearing the Momenta quartet. When I saw this as one of the events for that week I just knew that I had to attend. Stringed instruments have always held a special place in my heart because I played the violin from 6th grade all the way through high school. I enjoyed tackling new tasks such as vibrato, 2nd position and much more. I always attempted to improve my tone and quality of playing, all of this came with time because I practiced every week day at school. Stringed instruments are not only important to me, but to my family. My brother and sister play the cello, my cousin plays the viola, and another cousin plays the violin too. So when I get the chance to see anyone play, especially professional I am tickled with pleasure. My favorite thing about watching professional orchestral groups is the pleasure of watching their left hand. The left hand that moves across the finger board, creating the dynamic tones, while the right hand is used to steer the bow. The left hand is where I truly get to see all the delicacies and skills of being a talented musician.

The group really intrigued me because they told a story of a troubled man, it was definitely much more than just any old piece. I loved hearing the intensity build and where you could tell that the man was on the train and when he supposedly killed his wife. I enjoyed watching the group’s mood change as those scenes of intensity took place. I really appreciated the background that they gave us on the composer. I also enjoyed how they made the composer’s life story easy to relate and even inspirational. The composer did not reach his prime in writing until later on in his life. Most famous classical composers such as Beethoven wrote their best works of art in their youth.

I enjoyed the groups dedication to playing contemporary pieces. I find it noble that a majority of the group’s music is that of living composers. I have only heard of another orchestral group that does that. Black violin is that group. Black violin is a contemporary group of violinist that compose their own music, and even tour with the likes of Alicia Keys.

One thought on “Momentum never dies

1. I wasn’t able to go to this event, but I really wish I could have made it. That’s so interesting how the group told an intense story with the music–sometimes it’s not clear what musicians are trying to say, but I feel like you really know you’ve heard something great when the story is clear.