Planning For the Future: Ithaca Commons

Last Wednesday, I had attended a talk led by Lisa Nicholas about the development of economic trends in Ithaca. She specifically talked about the reconstruction of the commons and how planning went about when deciding the exterior design and placement of buildings to better fit the community. One of the most interesting points that she talked about was the future completion of a new Marriot hotel.

I’ve only been to Ithaca Commons several times, but the environment really reminds me of South Street Seaport in New York City. That being said, the ambiance is comforting and evokes thoughts of a cozy, tight knit community. One of the issues that Lisa emphasized was how to blend in a hotel into a communal environment? While a lot of big name companies propose to the county of Ithaca about hotel plans, the hotels often look to minimize costs in construction. This would typically result in a metallic looking building that stands right near the friendly, cozy-looking Commons. Consequently, a lot of negotiating has to be done because the prospect of a hotel would in fact benefit the economy of Ithaca.

Though I haven’t had the time to fully explore the commons, or I may not even have time until I graduate, the fact that there is going to be a hotel makes the possibility of visiting Ithaca after my education a lot easier! As Lisa also mentioned, Ithaca is one of the top-ranked places in the United States to spend retirement or vacation, and I think it would certainly be wonderful to bring my parents up here for a week-long vacation!