Crafting a Neighborhood for Everyone

Lisa Nicholas led a discussion about economic development in Ithaca and it was an insightful look into civic engagement and policies that are important to the growth of an area. I was surprised with some of the statistics that she relayed to, particularly that Tompkins County was the only region in  upstate NY that had an increase in population and yet the City of Ithaca didn’t experience any growth. From a Urban planning perspective, it was evident that the 0.5% vacancy rate and high rental costs explain the lack of corresponding growth. A region is always evolving, especially for an employment hub like Ithaca, and important decisions with housing, infrastructure and public areas are made to preserve the identity of the city.

Even though there was a need for more student housing, it was interesting to see the residents reject the proposal on the basis that it would be unsightly and inappropriate when considering the architecture of its surroundings. The role of the local citizens is crucial in maintaining the characteristics that make Ithaca, Ithaca. This makes urban planning all the more complex and increase the need to be open-minded. It must take into account many different factors, from sustainability to preserving natural and cultural establishments. This was evident when two new hotels were opening in the Commons but because people didn’t want change the identity of the Commons from being an open, public area (especially when considering the Commons is a pedestrian mall, a rare occurrence in the US), they specifically will be designing the ground floor/lobby to be open to all Ithaca residents.

The use of compact development might be an intelligent way to introduce more housing in an already cramped, developed area. The amalgamation of smart urban planning, an engaged public in the development process and a commitment to an overarching vision of what Ithaca should be is an excellent model of civic engagement and I hope to contribute to the development of Ithaca myself, how seemingly little or insignificant my role may be, for my stay at Ithaca and also in my local neighborhood. Do you engage in your local community?

One thought on “Crafting a Neighborhood for Everyone

1. Hi Lisa, my name is Sabrina and I find your blog on the lack of population growth in Ithaca very interesting. I find it interesting that things are much more expensive in Ithaca than I imagined when I first came here. Yet I presume it is our university that pushes up the price of everything. I agree with you that we should introduce more housing to this city, that way we might find a way to reduce the high living cost.