Gave My Heart to a Piece of Art

On Thursday, the Johnson Museum of Art introduced new exhibits for the start of the spring semester. The last time that I had visited this beautiful museum was about two years ago when I came to visit Cornell as a senior in high school. Honestly, I had forgotten how absolutely breathtaking all of the exhibits are. To start off, in the main lobby of the museum was a wonderful layout of wines, appetizers, and hot apple cider to begin the evening. Upon meeting up with some fellow Rose Scholars, we began exploring the various floors in the building starting with the basement level.

20160204_171622

As soon as we walked onto the floor, there was a wonderful layout of large pillows on a small sky painted stage where visitors were encouraged to sit on and relax together. Another stage with the same sky like painting on it had a section that was burnt with large twigs piled over it like a tipi. One stage said “the sun is gone but we have the light,” while the other said “the fire is gone but we have the light.” Each floor up has different sections that displayed a different set of artwork, from precolonial artwork, to pictures, to lasers, to tribal patterns.

File_004

But there was a single piece of artwork that touched my heart the instant I saw it. At the beginning of the reception, guests were handed a heart so that they could “give their own heart” to  a piece of art that they saw in the museum. The painting titled “Piazza Dei Ponziani,” courtesy of American born artist Stan Taft, is this incredibly simplistic oil painting on aluminum in which a man and a woman are sitting on two stools holding hands facing one another. Although you can only see from their arms down, it feels like the image came to life when I saw it and all I could think about was love. The imagery was simply so raw and full of emotion in that one painting that I could not help but give it “my heart.” Personally, it demonstrated hope, passion, love, life, and companionship in such a beautiful way that only artwork can.

File_005

I plan on returning to the museum the next opportunity I get and I highly encourage anyone who has an hour to spare to walk around the Johnson Museum, especially since I feel that most students take it for granted.  There is an event this weekend for Valentine’s weekend, so what a better day to spend quality time with those you love while falling in love with something that words can not begin to describe.

2 thoughts on “Gave My Heart to a Piece of Art

1. I had a great time checking out the museum with you!! I really enjoyed your paragraph about “Piazza Dei Ponziani” because I can tell how much it spoke to you and how much you enjoyed it! It is a really beautiful piece.