Economic Development in Africa

As an Animal Science major, I rarely encounter discussions regarding economics and economic development. It was very interesting–and a little harsh–to hear the continent of Africa being described as a bad economic investment compared to southeast Asia. Although I understand that history supports the claim, it still seemed slightly harsh to hear. The discussion was interesting, given my lack of extensive knowledge on the subject. I wish we had gone into deeper detail regarding the occupancy of countries in the past and its relationship to current economic situations. The brief mention of the economic success and then failure of the francophone countries seemed intriguing, but this was not touched upon much more. The sample size of unoccupied countries is small, but Ethiopia seems to be pretty successful in terms of economic growth, which I find very interesting. This was a very different experience for me, but the knowledge gained in this discussion definitely increased my interest in global economic development.