Straight Outta Cornell Cinema

Straight Outta Compton was a well written film. The screening was preceded by a performance from Break Free. The performance was a pleasant surprise. The performers were really good! They had a lot of energy and set the stage for an exciting movie night.

The film was pretty good in terms of evoking emotions and making the audience feel the passion and even the anger each character had. The main catalyst of events was the police brutality cases and in my opinion was why the movie was created in the first place. Sure, the story of each character’s journey through thick and thin was heartfelt and touching. However, the main message, in my opinion, was that even though all of these life changing events happened, police brutality still exists.

While not a big fan of rap music or not a follower of what’s new and good, I do know that rap is a form of art and when bars are written well, they can elicit many emotions and feelings. I have to say that the movie incorporated tracks that fit nicely into the story and highlighted key points in each artist’s history. I also enjoyed the ending scene where they show where are they now and some of the successes of Dr. Dre and Ice Cube.

Overall, I’m glad I went to see the film as it was highly regarded. I do agree that the film was greatly made and it was interesting to see the starting of some great artists today!