New Insights into Africa

When we walk into a grocery in America, our eyes meet aisles and aisles of a variety of food items from all over the world. Just within the cookie aisle, we see cookies made in the U.S, cookies imported from England, or The Netherlands, or Japan, or Mexico. Sometimes I even think that so many options are deterring me from making a quick decision!

When Professor Van de Walle’s talked about the economies of African countries, I learned that some countries like Tunisia have economic sanctions that limit the amounts of goods imported from outside countries. He talked about how Tunisians would go into a store and find only one option. During the holidays, the government would raise some sanctions, but the prices would be 300% to 400% higher than normal. Thus, the importers, who usually have ties to the government would make an extreme profit. Thus, Professor Van de Walle’s talk made me realize how privileged we are to be able to have variety and choice, and an American economy and culture that promotes diversity.

Furthermore, another interesting fact that I learned during the talk was that Africa, particularly Ethiopia, is now attracting lots of foreign investment. Professor Blalock and Professor Van de Walle talked about the vast amounts of Chinese immigrants there are in some parts of Africa. This really amazed me because I can only imagine the amount of adaptation these first wave of Chinese immigrants have to face, especially in regards to the difference in languages and culture, the difference in climates, the difference in vegetation, soil, and food.