Logistics at Lynah

I had a fantastic time at the Rose Ice Skating event. I think that organizing this event was a great idea for a fun activity that allows people to be active during the winter. Caitlin, the SA leading the event, was extremely enthusiastic during the mini-lesson and did a really good job emphasizing the importance of ice hockey to Cornell’s history.

However, this is the second time I have attended a pre-planned event at Lynah Rink and noted that the logistics of getting skates needs to be improved. At both the event I attended last semester and today’s Rose event, as soon as the event began, the line for skates was extremely long and people had to wait as much as 30 minutes to get skates from the single booth. My suggestion is that when Lynah knows in advance that a big group will be arriving, they should lay out the skates on the bleachers, with the biggest sizes at the top and the smallest sizes on the lowest bleachers. Then people can distribute themselves and easily pick out the skates that fit them. A Lynah employee can stand at the entrance to the rink and collect the money (or student ID as in today’s event) as each person steps onto the ice.

I think that because Cornell is such a large school with so many students, it is really important to put forethought into processes such as these. Ice skating is really fun and I believe that by streamlining the method of getting skates, the process of going to the rink could be made even more enjoyable!