A taste of winter

I’m a huge fan of winter activities: sledding, skiing, snowshoeing, and of course, ice skating.  So while many people are are happy that we haven’t had to walk through the snow to class this year, I have my fingers crossed that we will get a blanket of snow on the ground soon.

Ice skating at Lynah was the perfect way to spend a snowless winter afternoon. SA Caitlan gave us a brief history of Lynah rink and then taught us the basics about skating. I have been skating since I was young, but I have never had a lesson, so it was helpful to learn how to skate backwards and stop in a way that doesn’t involve crashing into the wall.

Caitlin told us an interesting story about why Lynah was built.  The hockey team used to always play on Beebe lake, but one year it was too warm to skate on so they had to miss the entire season!  Thanks to Lynah, they have been able to win many championships since then, even in years when the weather doesn’t cooperate like this year!

One thought on “A taste of winter

1. I agree with you that ice skating at Lynch was a perfect way to spend a snowless winter. With the peculiar weather this year, I barely see snow on campus and it actually freaks me out. It was a really interesting event and learning about the history of Lynch from Caitlin was definitely a highlight of the event too.