The role of whiteness in discussions on race

Discussions on race are always difficult to have, but they are important for the structure of our country and necessary to improve relationships between communities and institutions. As a white person, I came from a predominantly white community and school and I have always felt slightly uneasy when discussing race. I don’t think I have been left out from these discussions, but I understand that my place is less to speak on these issue, and more to listen to the experiences of BIPOC. I felt that this table talk provided a good space to have these difficult discussion and I was interested to hear from new people from a variety of backgrounds on their experience with race in America. It also made me examine my whiteness and the role that race and privilege has played in my life in my schools, communities, friendships, and achievements thus far. When I listened to other peoples experiences and addressed my own experience with race, it made me more confident to participate in these discussions and continue to work on dismantling racial divides in our country.