Asking Experts

This panel was really informative, and it did wonders for my confidence in applying to internships. As a Junior in college, something I hear a lot is that the internships I secure this year will matter for the rest of my life, so choose wisely.  When family or friends ask about my skillset, it suddenly blurs together, and I don’t have much to say about the years I’ve spent in school; internships are helpful because you can provide examples of things you’ve done, rather than describing what you’re most passionate about to someone else in an abstract sense. Without much context, that can be a frightening thing to try and explain when you’re directing it at professionals you look up to.

For this reason, I appreciate hearing first-hand experience from the panel, who are experts on the topic. They’ve all held multiple positions at various companies and organizations, which isn’t something that comes easily. They described their experiences applying: sometimes you can apply to multiple places and get zero offers, which is unlucky, but unfortunately common. That’s the extent of it, though — bad luck. So if this happens, you can’t let it demoralize you. Rather, you should take a look at your materials, adjust them as necessary, and keep trying for the right position.

It’s also helpful to hear about what, exactly, others are doing at their internships. Some of the work is more hands-on, like analyzing data with a fresh perspective,  but a lot of it involves logistical management. Both of these are options I should be prepared for, going into internships this summer, so I appreciate the advice looking forward.

One thought on “Asking Experts

1. That’s great that you were able to listen to the panel speak about their internship experiences. I agree that searching for internships can be stressful, so I’m glad that it was helpful to hear from others first-hand!