Working to overcome

I watched the documentary Bad Hombre last week. The film dove into the injustices of the police and prison systems in the United States with emphasis on the prejudice and profiling of Latinx populations. The current political climate stresses the issues of systemic racism as an aspect of society that immediately needs to be changed and watching this film during this time greatly complemented those notions. I found the film did a great job emphasizing how these issues have been occurring for a great deal of time through the inclusion of prejudices in the past that I had not been aware of such as with Zoot Suit clothing and the creation of Hollywood films that aimed to exploit precursing prejudices for monetary gain. The inclusion of these topics both showed the growth of the United States but also how it has not come far enough. The most impactful moment in the film for me was a section when the topic of Gang Injunctions was being discussed and members of a community spoke as to how as a community they legally fought the government that had implemented the ordinance. It was an inspiring moment that served to give hope that these issues can be overcome.

One thought on “Working to overcome

1. Definitely! In them fighting the gang injunction, it takes a lot of time, effort, and pressure. I think they mentioned that it took 4 years for the injunction to be fought. Although it is inspiring, it also spoke volumes to how they attempted to keep highly concentrated minority communities down. Not only with gang injunctions, but also with the grueling process of getting it overturned.