Crafting leafy suncatchers

It was great to take a break during my studies and get crafty for this week’s Rose Scholars program. I love arts and crafts, and because of academics, I haven’t been able to pick up on anything creative since school started. I joined GRF Karina’s workshop and made these beautiful leaf suncatchers with construction paper, fall-colored tissue paper, and laminate sticker sheets. I decided to cut my tissue paper in triangles and with a color palette that included all the colors of the tissue paper, in a way where the leaf was still transitioning it’s colors. It was a gradient between green and yellow, and then rich oranges, reds and browns. These reminded me of stained-glass windows in a way. Although it was gloomy outside, my finished leaf still looked very pretty against my windows, and the light captures the many layers of tissue paper well.

Leafy Suncatcher

My finished suncatcher taped to my window in Mennen Hall overlooking Rose and West Campus

2 thoughts on “Crafting leafy suncatchers

1. That is beautiful! I really like the color scheme you chose, and it reminds me of a stained glass window as well. You’ve inspired me to create something similar for my room; I think it would help to be surrounded by creativity and color in my room, especially now during the dark and rainy months in Ithaca.

2. Hi, Grace! I really love how your leaf sun catcher turned out! Cutting out the tissue paper into triangles rather than squares was a great touch. I agree that it has been challenging to be artistically creative during the semester. I’m glad you enjoyed the activity too!