Armstrong pulls on my heartstrings

After watching the film First Man, I felt a sense of appreciation. This is not only for Neil Armstrong himself, but I began to realize the amount of dedication and discipline it takes to be a real astronaut. At some point in a kid’s life, they are bound to say that they want to become an astronaut. Little do these young kids know that you have to be one of a kind to make it to the moon in real life. Armstrong just so happened to be one of said people who was able to overcome a difficult personal struggle and still be successful. It was heartbreaking to see how Neil Armstrong’s daughter died of a brain tumor because I had thought that such a cancer is rare at her age. 

Despite the challenges that Neil Armstrong faced as a human, it seems as if he had to make himself a robot to prepare him for his space mission. Since this was during the time period of the space race in competition with the Soviet Union, I thought that this film was going to go into the political aspects of being an astronaut that Armstrong had to follow. However, I saw the emotional toll it took on him and how his entire personality has evolved when he blocked out his family before going into space. I hypothesize that this may have to do with wanting to emotionally detach himself so he would not miss his family in space.

One thought on “Armstrong pulls on my heartstrings

1. I find your observation that his stoic behavior as a coping mechanism for having such a dangerous profession interesting. I had seen his distancing from his family as an involuntary response to the loss of his daughter but your view that it may have been on purpose puts the entire moving into a different light for me.