Irony in Chernobyl

Last Friday we watched the first episode of the Chernobyl Mini-Series. What I found most interesting about this episode was its excellent use of tragic irony. Normally, people associate irony with verbal irony, which is usually of a comedic nature. The tragic irony is quite different. In essence its when the audience knows a situation is worse than a character realizes. Being a dramatization of a well known historical event, we (the audience) fully understand what is about to play out and the full severity of the situation. However, many of the characters in the episode consistently downplayed the unfolding events, either because they legitimately thought that was the case, or because they were so afraid of what would happen if it weren’t the case. As the audience, we fully know just how bad the event was, which pains us when we see many innocent people, even children, and especially workers at the plant that are extremely close to the disaster, and knowing just how much danger they are truly in. Dramatic, let alone tragic irony is not often used, and this was certainly a perfect place for it, despite the sense of horror it gave me.

This entry was posted in Film Friday: Chernobyl 9/18/2020 by Elias Little. Bookmark the permalink.

About Elias Little

I'm a sophomore in engineering majoring in Operations Research & Information Engineering. I'm an engineering ambassador, on the hyperloop project team, and a member of Anything Goes – a musical theater group. In my free time, I love learning new things, discovering music, and playing cello and guitar.

4 thoughts on “Irony in Chernobyl

1. I have never heard about tragic irony before — thanks for the introduction! I do think that the downplaying of severity is likely due to ignorance. Chernobyl was the first major nuclear accident of that scale — if not the very first nuclear accident in history. Civilians would not have previous knowledge about the damage nuclear radiation can bring. Unlike fire, nuclear radiation is invisible and its effects are slow but lasting. It should’ve been the job and duty of the officials to warn their citizens, albeit very sadly that did not happen.

2. I totally agree with you about the role of tragic irony in the film. One scene that really stood out to me as tragic irony was when the children and parents gathered to watch the lights. The audience clearly knows that the lights which the characters are excited about are actually a deadly sign about the reactor.

3. I too had never heard the term tragic irony but I think that’s what makes this series so good and especially eerie. Without the knowledge of what’s to come, I do no know if the series would provide the same experience for viewers because of the tragic course of events and downplaying of severity.

4. I found your post very insightful Elias. I never actually realized that dramatic irony was being utilized throughout Chernobyl. I think that due to my lack of knowledge of Chernobyl before watching the show, it was hard for me to see this. However, if I watched the show again, I would most likely see dramatic irony more often, and it would most likely churn my stomach.