Puppies!

For college students there’s no time more stressful than finals week. What better way than too relax than play with pets? Being away from home makes such time near impossible. It was a nice study break to spend time with dogs from Guiding Eyes, to learn more about the organization and the selection and training criteria that are required for the service dogs they raise and train.

I was particularly interested in the utilization of the dogs in helping mitigate autistic children’s bolting behavior. A representative of the organization explained how the dogs, being coupled by a belt worn by the child and a handle on the dog’s harness, are trained to act as an anchor when children that exhibit such behavior bolt. It had never occurred to me that a service animal could be trained to add a layer of safety for autistic toddlers and small children; previously associating them exclusively with the visually impaired or for emotional support.

2 thoughts on “Puppies!

1. That is such a great use for the guiding dogs! I never would have thought of other uses than for guiding people. I hope that they utilize the dogs for other things as well.

2. I didn’t know that but it’s amazing! Did she say any other uses for the animals besides this? I didn’t catch any other specific ones while I was at the event.