It takes a lot to be a service dog!

This past wednesday I attended one of my favorite events this year — pet a puppy! Not only did I get to play with cuddly puppies, but I also got to learn a bit about what goes into becoming a service dog.

What I first learned, which was very interesting, was that this company only uses two types of dogs, and they breed them themselves. I was always under the impression that anyone could offer their dog to be a service dog, but apparently these dogs are raised right away into being a service dog. Additionally, these dogs go through rigorous training once they can function independently of their mother. It was neat to hear that they go through distraction tests, where they are put in situations with loud noises that test their ability to function quickly and properly. Having a dog of my own, I can understand how difficult this portion is, as my dog loses her mind once a trashcan lid falls or someone rings the doorbell. Its neat to learn how they were able to train them. Additionally, it was cool to hear that some dogs that don’t pass go up for adopotion. This could be a dog that is too energetic or doesn’t enjoy being a service dog. It sounds like there is a long list for these dogs as they are all very well trained.

Overall, I really enjoyed this event because I got to play with puppies. I had a very long and tough week with projects, so this was a great way to de-stress. I hope they have another puppy event such that I can enjoy their company again.

Did anyone attend the event and not enjoy playing with the dogs? If so, why?