The Macro Effect of Micro Aggressions

Last week, Professor Ariela Keysar hosted a dinner conversation regarding prejudice and micro aggressions present in today’s society and specifically on a college campus. Given recent events, racism and inequality has become an extremely prevalent issue in the country and I believe conversations like this allow for people to witness others’ perspectives and opinions on the current situation. A majority of the conversation consisted of students discussing their personal experience with micro aggressions at Cornell. I deeply resonated with this topic as I have begun to consider my race a lot more since I’ve arrived here. Coming from a huge school like Rutgers University, Cornell’s environment came as quite a shock. Since Rutgers is almost three times the size of Cornell, that population comes with a significant amount of diversity. While Cornell is relatively diverse to an extent, my experience here has noted that a lot of the minority groups tend to flock together. So, if you’re a minority who chooses to not join said group, you experience this weird limbo where you’re not fully accepted by your minority group. Before coming here, I have never experienced these feelings. I grew up in a community where there was a large Indian presence, but I considered myself to have two groups of friends- my Indian/church friends and my school friends. At Rutgers I was able to maintain a similar balance, I was involved in one south Asian focused club and had my other friends. Despite being a part of these two groups, I never felt any sort of strain on my social life. In contrast, here I feel that if you are involved with a minority group on campus they are also your major friend group. Having the two groups I used to experience did not seem like much of an option. Overall, I feel increasingly more aware of my race here at Cornell and I have not come to a conclusion of whether or not this is a good or bad thing. On one hand, I am allowing my culture to take a larger role in my identity, but on the other, I am feeling somewhat excluded because of my race. This thought provoking discussion allowed me to really explore my position here and the role my race plays in my identity. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to speak with Dr. Keysar regarding this matter and I hope to have similar Rose house events like this in the future.

One thought on “The Macro Effect of Micro Aggressions

1. I really wish I had gone to this event! It sounded so interesting and I feel like this would have connected the information I learned from my Racial and Ethnic Development class. A lot of people believe racism does not exist anymore, often citing the fact that Barack Obama is present as an example. Though overt racism is not as prominent as in the past, covert racism in the form of microaggressions is much more common. It is important to recognize these microaggressions and address this issue.