Discussing science & religion

Prof. Sloan’s talk last Wednesday about the trial of Galileo explored the question of contradictions between religion and science. I agree that in the case of Galileo it seems as much a question about the power of the church as an institution as religion in itself (although those are deeply intertwined). One point I appreciated from the talk was Prof. Sloan’s suggestion that people can commit themselves to science and the advancement of scientific research and discovery while at the same time remaining personally religious. As Prof. Sloan noted, this position is not only respectful of individuals’ differing beliefs but also constructive of an environment that enables discussion of the divergences between scientific and religious thought among people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs. A student group on campus recently was handing out free copies of a book which (I think, I haven’t read it) explores this question – religion in a scientific age. I wonder if anyone else received or read the book – it probably could add to this discussion by providing further examples of ways in which religion might coexist with, or challenge, science.

One thought on “Discussing science & religion

1. I also went to the discussion with Prof. Sloan and appreciated the notion that it is respectful to work in the scientific community while also being religious. While they seem to be contradictory in nature, its important to create a welcoming environment to discuss this topic.