beyond the cup

Growing up, I never enjoyed the taste of coffee. But it seems that I am unable to go a day without it now. Being a new found coffee lover, I was excited to be able to learn about the different kinds of coffee and how they are each made and processed. This presentation was very interesting as far as learning where the coffee comes from and the impact it has on the environment.
The main point I learned from this presentation was that gimme! Coffee does not just worry about getting the best coffee. Instead, they worry about the impact they have on everyone and everything around them. Some main concerns are the environment and the effect their farming has on it. Instead of using huge machines like some more mainstream companies, they make sure their coffee cherries are picked by hand. The machines cause unnecessary things to fall out of the trees, such as branches and unripe cherries while the hand pickers are able to get exactly what they need without damaging the trees. In addition to caring about the environment, they get their beans from one farm and make sure that they are able to support this farm and all of its processes. Another thing I found very interesting were the competitions they were talking about. There is apparently a huge coffee community/ Baristas can compete in competitions making their own specialty drinks. They can showcase the coffee they chose to brew or create something extremely out of the ordinary. I think it would be really cool to see the kind of things they come up with. Overall, I enjoyed learning about the different ways coffee can be produced and used.

One thought on “beyond the cup

1. This sounds like it was such a great event. I also love coffee and it is the one thing I could not go without. That’s great to hear that this company also is very environmentally conscious and cares about the process they are using to make their coffee. I also think it is really amazing that the company encourages creativity through the development of new flavors and tastes to bring something new to coffee drinks.