The Hills are Alive…

Sitting in the theater, watching flashes of mountains and hills on the screen, I was strangely nervous. Not only am I not much of a singer (you could see how I would be worried in a sing-a-long version of Sound of Music), but I was not entirely confident in the audience around me. What if I began singing and everybody else just muttered or hummed along? Would there be enough volume to drown out my terribly off-key voice? As it turns out, I could barely even hear myself. The audience was delightfully enthusiastic. As soon as the first song came on, “How do you solve a problem like Maria?”, people jumped right in without hesitating. The audience participation wasn’t only limited to singing. There was a running commentary throughout the entire film. When Maria came out in a wet dress, there were wolf-whistles. When the Nazis showed up on screen hisses and boos filled the air. Clearly, most people in the audience had watched the movie on repeat. I found myself laughing and shouting at the screen with the rest of them. If you ever have the opportunity to attend a similar event, I would definitely recommend the experience.