The Judgment of the Nations

Due to politics and war, the words “immigrant” and “refugee” have been uttered numerous times in the past couple of months. In this Becker/Rose Cafe series, Professor Holly Case talked about the refugee crisis in Europe, specifically in Hungary. I came into the talk with a modest understanding of the current situation. I must admit that I was a little puzzled when Professor Case first mentioned the “Two Tailed Dog Party.” Based on her initial description of it, I thought that Professor Case was just joking around. The name of the party itself also made me believe that Professor Case was being facetious. It turns out, of course, that the Two Tailed Dog Party actually exists. Its objective is to speak out against the Hungarian government’s position on refugees, sometimes using satirical posters and billboards to convey its message.

The recent terrorist attacks in Paris and other parts of the world have placed the eyes of the global community on Syrian refugees. The United States has agreed to take in thousands of refugees. Some states, however, including my home state of Florida, have refused to accept these refugees due to concerns of national security (possible terrorist threats). Are these concerns valid or does the United States have a moral obligation to welcome those who flee persecution and war? Where do we draw the line between liberty and security? Does our sense of humanity have boundaries?

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ -Matthew 25:35-40

One thought on “The Judgment of the Nations