Microagressions

This week, I went to the Intergroup Dialogue on microaggressions. It was very relevant considering recent events such as the blatant racism going on at Mizzou and other historically rooted forms of racism such as police brutality. The group opened the dialogue by displaying an example of what a typical conversion containing microaggressions may include. They highlighted assumptions of an other group. This leads to complications because although America is praised for being a melting pot of diverse people, minorities are placed into an other category, which essentially classifies them as un-American. The definition of a microaggression is considered to be something unintentional and not built in like institutional and structural racism. Nonetheless, I believe microaggressions come from societal stereotypes that have become ingrained into our subconscious. And because they are so ingrained from the dominant group, it is almost like there is no reason to learn about minority groups such as racial minorities. As a result, we end up being the spokesperson for our socially constructed race, instead of being seen as an actual human being with similarities and differences.

2 thoughts on “Microagressions

1. It had never occurred to me that minorities are classified as “un- American”. I also agree that microaggressions come from stereotyping.

2. In my opinion, microaggressions are not simply “something unintentional.” Some could be intentional, for example: following a person of color in a store thinking that they may steal.