The Blaschka Collection: Evidence of a Hidden but Disappearing World

When I first saw the slides with the pictures of the Blaschka glass pieces, I thought that they were pictures taken of the living creatures that they were created to mimic. I felt a sense of awe, how could two people capture the beauty of these creatures so well at a time when technology was limited?. I have been to the Corning museum of Glass before and have seen the wonders that are possible with glass, however nothing I have seen before has had such a lasting impact. The idea that the creatures these pieces mimic are going extinct is a definite eye opener. I particularly found Professor Harvell’s documentary to be moving. Seeing the actual sea creatures and then also seeing the glass pieces made me realize how much attention to detail went into creating the pieces.

I also found within this film and discussion, another reason why we as humans are responsible for finding a solution to global warming and climate change. Helpless creatures such as the starfish and being killed by a virus that is allowed to spread more easily in the warmer water temperatures. We have the means to discover a solution and the slow disappearance of these many creatures should be a warning to us that we need to find it soon. Overall, I am still wondering how the Blaschkas were able to form such magnificent class pieces of creatures that live deep in the sea without the help of modern equipment such as oxygen tanks.

One thought on “The Blaschka Collection: Evidence of a Hidden but Disappearing World

1. I was also in awe of the beautiful glass replicas of the sea creatures. Imagine the fine detail and craftsmanship put into each model. I agree, we need to improve awareness of the challenges climate change brings. If we don’t take action, the coral reefs and the animals that depend on the balanced environment will disappear. We need to protect the biodiversity of the ocean and all that depend on it.