New visions of mixed media

After a time intensive lab I headed over to the Rose dining hall to enjoy some mixed media by Nicholas Lawson Carbanaro. This is the first time I have been to an art show out of my hometown where the artist was present. I love that the art came to us. This concept definitely makes art more accessible to active college students. I took little time to appreciate this anomaly while at the event.  Instead, I roamed around aimlessly for about six minutes before I took the time to dissect the art work. By far my favorite piece of art at the event was “Fat cat”.

I really enjoyed this piece because I felt like it was a play on the cat lady. Even though cats are not present I already get the vibe of a cat lady. I was fascinated by how her right false eyelash fell on her chest. I still do not really understand what that represents, but it is captivating. At first I assumed that this woman was sitting on her couch, but after I while I noticed that there were more than clouds in the background. There seems to be a sliver of green and brown, so may be the cat lady is one with the Earth.  This piece took me back to my Greek mythology days. Is this piece trying to convey that the cat lady is like Gaia? Does the cat lady care for her cats just as Gaia cares for the planet?