Immigration and Art

Precious Artwork

Art work is usually influenced by the artist’s experiences and observations. The piece that intrigued me the most at the Rose Art Show was the sculpture with the three heads, which was chosen to be displayed because of the historical significance and relevance to events today. When I got a chance to speak with the artist, Nicholas Lawson Carbonaro, about this piece, I found myself in a thought provoking conversation about the quest for a better life.

Nicholas talked about his New York roots and how his family has lived for centuries in the city. Originally from Sunnyside, he moved to Ithaca about two years ago, returning to the area post graduation from Ithaca College. Living in Sunnyside gave him the opportunity to how both halves live; the more privileged folks he identified with, and the immigrants who moved in search of a better life.

The sculpture was almost thrown out, but luckily it was saved and transported to Ithaca. This piece was of great significance to the artist because it made him appreciate all the advantages he had in life. It represents all the struggles immigrants and refugees had to go through in order to find a happier life. Even to this day, there are still people in this world who need to escape their countries in order to attain a better life.

We also started talking about the prices we pay to live, both figuratively and literally. To live in a nice neighborhood it costs a lot. To live in a better place, sacrifices are needed. This conversation made me appreciate all that I have more and the struggles my family faced as an immigrating family. It definitely is an eye-opening piece that makes anyone reconsider just how lucky they are to be in a better position than most people other countries worldwide.