The Future of Rose Scholars

I greatly enjoyed last week’s Rose Cafe with Dr. Hill. As usual, he was quite candid, encouraging the rest of us in the room to express our thoughts, concerns, and ideas about the Rose Scholars program. I think the discussion was quite productive, and will hopefully result in a number of positive outcomes.

I agree with the theory behind the Rose Scholars program. Those who are on top of their plans and those who choose to be active in the community should be rewarded for doing so, instead of simply being able to tag off more active residents so they can live in a West Campus House next year.

There are two suggestions which I do support.

1. We need more social events or games. Why not have a jeopardy contest, for example, with prizes, or some social events with games so we can get to know each other? I feel like if we became closer friends with one another, that would be the best way to encourage greater participation in Rose House events. Not to mention that games would bring out the spirit of competitiveness and result in more lively activities.
  2. We should allow scholars to attend more lectures and events on campus. The drawback from this is that people may be less motivated to attend events in the House itself, or that they may be dishonest while going, but I hope that that would be kept to a minimum. I greatly enjoyed the Heather Ann Thompson lecture, for example, and it showed the best of what can come out of Cornell.

One thought on “The Future of Rose Scholars

1. I think you made some good suggestions. Both of them are great. Jeopardy contests would be fun