Views from the Scholars

Last weeks cafe was unique in that it wasn’t just someone lecturing about a topic, but it was an open discussion about the state of the rose scholars program and ways we may be able to improve the program moving forward. As I am nearing the end of my second year of the rose scholars it was interesting to be able to reflect on my time in the program. Here are some of my opinions regarding the program:

I really like the Thursday seminars and I wish that they were weekly occurrences. These seminars provide information that is different than the standard lectures you hear from career services.  The people who run the seminars provide personal anecdotes from previous experiences that provide helpful tips. There have also been times when i have attended this event where we had to end our discussion early because we had ran out of time. If the seminars are weekly, then we would be able to cover more content and possibly hit more areas. During the seminar in which we discussed interviews, possibly we could do a follow up session in which you have the opportunity to do a mock-interview.

Another suggestion I would make is to maybe have more viewing party sort of things. Similar to the Super Bowl (even though i didnt attend it) and debate viewings, there should be events for if there is a big game on, awards show, or even weekly TV show that can bring people together.

One thing i think would be interesting in terms of scholar and non rose scholars in Rose House would be to have house teams that compete in intramural sports. Maybe we could have a house softball or frisbee team or something to that extent. The fee for participating is either free of a small fee and many organizations have teams in order to build chemistry and unity. It doesn’t have to be competitive, but just an excuse for people to get out and do something.

Other than these few suggestions, I think the structure of the program has been great and i am interested to see how the program progresses.

One thought on “Views from the Scholars

1. My suitemates and I have all thought about the idea of creating a Rose House intramural team as it would be a good way to create an environment for scholars to bond over an activity that encourages teamwork and that is a bit more engaging than some of the other events. I hope in the future of this program there is a better way of bringing the scholars together with social events that allow the other scholars to get to know one another.