Great Conversation with Chris Alabi and Nilay Yapici

It was great getting to know Professors Nilay Yapici and Chris Alabi this week. I found that I identify a lot with them on a personal and intellectual level. For example, Professor Yapici came to the United States from Turkey, and Professor Alabi is from Nigeria. I immigrated to the United States from the Philippines when I was young, so hearing about some of the challenges of adjusting to a new country resonated with me. I also enjoyed hearing about Professor Yapici’s love of neuroscience. I thought it was really interesting how she was partially inspired to study the brain after watching “The Matrix.” I loved her quote about how the more we learn about the brain, the more we realize we don’t know. Her passion for neuroscience inspires me to want to take a course in neuroscience sometime before I graduate. I also liked hearing about Professor Alabi’s love of engineering and learning. I was also really passionate about math growing up, so I appreciated his energy regarding the subject. What he said about research inspires me to think about doing research for math in the future or going to graduate school.