May I Never…

Initially when On the Verge began, I could not focus. The irony of students of color on the verge of a great college movement through social media, and watching a predominantly white, Eurocentric cast focused on making the world their oyster, put me in a difficult head space. In addition, I had no idea where the play was going. The notifications on my phone from student activists, micro-agressions in the skit, and my placement between it all, was slowly encouraging me to walk out.

Though it took a while, I later found myself at an ease. By this point it was the second half of the play, and I realized that they were time traveling – how cool was that! These three different women exploring the world’s complexities and inventions, during different time periods, with ancient minds could not have been more weird.

Anyway, the last few acts of the play were what caught my attention. Two of the main characters found a period of time that had all that they could ever imagine and want. The third main character wanted to continue exploring, though she had an appreciation for the 1950s as well. She wanted to finish discovering all that was in the future for her, though her friends believed that “The Future is Now!” To the audience members, at the end of 2015, this was funny and we all knew that they should continue the journey together. The third character left her friends, though it was not easy, and I’m guessing everyone lived out the lives they desired.

This play made me question my antics and ways. This play made me think deeply about my perceptions of my career, the world’s development, and the influence that loved ones in my life have on me. I walked away thinking the following:

May I never stop going after what the world has to offer

May I never be satisfied with what it offers

May I never be afraid to know that there is something more

May I never let leaving others scare me from encountering all that my heart desires

Because I never know what may be On the Verge