Cornell Dining: Towering Above the Rest

The Becker-Rose Cafe this past Wednesday featured Cornell Dining’s associate director Paul Muscente and Rose Dining’s head chef Daniel Czebiniak.  Cornell University has consistently been recognized for having one of the best college campus dining halls in the country and we were able to get a glimpse into understanding why.

I had noticed Chef Daniel’s biography from time to time in the Rose dining hall, especially during House Dinners, but it was certainly interesting to hear from him firsthand about the internal operations of the kitchen.  I always thought that Rose’s menu was slightly better than the other West Campus dining halls (which may or may not have played a role in my housing decision) and I finally got to hear from the man behind it all.  In addition to his impressive culinary backgrond, Chef Daniel mentioned rationing certain foods to encourage students to eat healthier.  I think it is a good idea to have a kitchen staff member serve meat because personally, I am a carnivore and love my protein a little too much, so having someone distribute it will reduce the chances that I get too much.  I have not been eating as healthily as I should be since I have come to Cornell and I really need to change my eating habits.

Paul Muscente also talked about some past healthy eating initiatives that Cornell Dining has undertaken.  One specific event that I remember from my freshman year was the Five Days: Have You Had Your 5 Today?  The tables and posters set up at RPCC and Appel reminded me to eat my fair share of vegetables and fruits and encouraged me to color my plate.  I am glad that Cornell Dining genuinely cares about Cornellians’ health and puts so much thought into developing more ways to promote healthy eating.  Although it will definitely take some effort on my part as well, I will try to motivate myself to adopt a healthier lifestyle, starting with what I put in my body.