Hamlet: An Age Old Classic Brought to Life

I was very excited to see Hamlet starring Benedict Cumberbatch, and the play did not disappoint. I studied Hamlet my senior year of high school, and I was impressed by the universality of the themes, despite the age of the play. In his intro to the play, Cumberbatch talked about the themes of the play and how even now people can relate to Hamlet. Another aspect of Hamlet that was discussed when I read it in high school were the major filmed versions of the play, and how they chose to use modern props, or if they were used at all. The version I saw in highschool was very traditional, but Cumberbatch’s version featured many semi modern props, such as telephones and record players, and the costumes were mismatched between periods. I found it quite amusing to see Hamlet in pants from the 17th century, converse, and a David Bowie band tee.

Other aspects of the play were beautifully executed, from the acting to the staging. The set was beautiful. It was stationary, and props were moved in and out. The stage seemed really deep, and the lighting was extremely well utilized. The music was also beautiful, and I loved the way the lights and music were used together to imitate things like an angry ghost, a storm, or a train.

I also enjoyed the opportunity to bond with other scholars over the play, studying Shakespeare, and our cumberbatch obsessions. It was the best way to spend a few hours of a stressful week.

3 thoughts on “Hamlet: An Age Old Classic Brought to Life

1. I’ll definitely have to check this out, especially if Mr.Cumberbatch is as great as you say.
    As a side note, you should have mentioned your own poetry skills! You could probably teach our fellow scholars a thing or two.

2. I found the different time periods of the costumes very interesting too. I’m used to more traditional stagings of Shakespeare but I felt the contemporary style of the production actually added to my enjoyment of the play.

3. here’s something about hamlet that’s always bugged me: why does laertes just carry around poison all the time. what a creep!