Making West Campus Food Even Better

We were fortunate to have Paul Muscente, Associate Director of West Campus Dining, and Chef Daniel Czebiniak of the Flora Rose House come tell us more about Cornell dining and West Campus food. This was probably one of my favorite events to date, as they provided us with a lot of insight into the decisions that are necessary for a high-level daily dining experience. For example, some people asked about the protein rationing and general decrease in meat items for a given meal, and they explained this decision was based on a push for healthier student diets and a more sustainable environment.

Prior to this event, I think I almost took for granted the level of detail and analysis involved in making Cornell dining such an elite and reputable service. The chef made it seem like they rarely take the approach of cooking everything ahead of time, keeping bins of food warm, and replacing empty bins when the time is appropriate, but instead are much more incremental in the way they cook throughout the night, which I thought was really neat and definitely makes for a better dining experience. In addition, they explained how after each meal, they always gauged and attempted to quantify the amount of waste in order to determine future portions and perhaps to alter menu items.

The guests were also very receptive to new suggestions and ideas for improving West Campus dining, such as the placement of dessert and fruit in the dining hall, in the hopes of encouraging a more healthy dining experience. All in all, it was a great event, and I’m confident that West Campus food will be even better going forward!

One thought on “Making West Campus Food Even Better

1. I, too, definitely took the detail/analysis involved in Cornell Dining’s preparations for granted. I’m so glad we were able to hear from Mr. Muscente and Chef Daniel so we can all better appreciate the behind-the-scenes work that goes into making our meals the best that they can be.