A Night of Classical Music, Piano Concerto by Emanuel Ax

The Rose Scholars had a privilege of listening to a world-famous pianist, Emanuel Ax, at Bailey Hall this weekend. I was excited to find out about this concert in the Rose events because I would not have known about this opportunity otherwise. Although I have been to many orchestral and symphonic band concerts, this was my first time attending a concert featuring a piano soloist. I was glad that I have a background in music theory and playing instruments so it allowed me to fully appreciate the music.

We had a great view of the pianist and I was able to see Mr. Ax’s finger movements when he was performing. I was in awe of how fast he can play all the notes and runs while varying the intensities and tempo as well. I especially loved the fact that Mr. Ax played a large range of dynamics and utilized the full range of the available keys on the piano. Mr. Ax played pieces by Beethoven and Chopin, two of the most famous pianists in history. Listening to Mr. Ax playing music by the two composers allowed me to notice the differences in the styles. Beethoven’s music express bold rhythms and chords while Chopin’s music included many chromaticism in various minors.

My favorite piece of the night was the Adagio cantabile movement in Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13, also known as “Pathétique” by Beethoven. Since it’s the second movement of the sonata, which usually is written in slower tempo, it contained many graceful rhythms and it was very beautifully put into life by Mr. Ax.

Overall, this was a fantastic concert and it was very calming for the mind in the midst of prelims and midterm essays. I could close my eyes and feel the emotions conveyed within each piece. Although it would have been nice if more Rose scholars on the waiting list could have gone with us, I appreciate that the program offers opportunities for students to enjoy Cornell concerts.
emanuel ax