Mask-Making

Mask-making at the Johnson Museum was so fun! I’m not much of an artist, so I was a little nervous, but it was actually really enjoyable and relaxing. We started by viewing some masks on exhibit in the museum for inspiration, which was good because I had no idea what to do with my mask. We learned about traditional rain ceremony masks, and about the symbolism behind colors (white represents feminism and angelic qualities, black represents masculinity), and saw some examples of different masks from around the world. We then proceeded to the studio, where pre-made masks were awaiting our decoration. I really enjoyed seeing everyone else’s ideas and designs (some of which were much much better than my own).  I highly recommend attending a Studio Thursday at the Johnson, which are free for students. They have lots of different projects and are a great way to try new things and destress. Here’s a picture of my finished mask:

One thought on “Mask-Making

1. That seems like so much fun! I totally wish I could have gone, and I would have if it were not for a Prelim. I think one thing that’s really cool is not only were you able to have fun with making the mask, but you also learned something along the way too.