A.bsolutely M.agnificent & Y.outhful – Amy’s story

As a self-proclaimed connoisseur of music, I rarely pay attention to artists that have too much spotlight on them. There is a specific lack of authenticity once an artist is relegated via a monetary tag. Once an artist becomes popular, they lose the ability to have a say over their craft and they are asked to make one thing above all – money. Despite my youth when Amy was big, I never paid attention to her. Everyone listened to that one song that made her famous (Rehab) and that was all I knew Amy for.

I’m sorry Amy…

Whether it was your story or the director of the film, the movie theater was quieter than ever. Not because nobody was making any types of sound, but because you handed me, through your lyrics of poetic masterpieces I have never heard before, the vivid pictures you painted filled all my senses.

A truly touching and tragic story about someone that was meant to be great, but not famous. Amy I have added you to a list of selected artists. I listen to you now unaware of your mainstream popularity and I push past the studio version of your songs and go straight to the live performances – where you shined for a small group of people, but crumbed under the crowd.

I miss the artist you could’ve became, I miss the artist you were. I never knew you, but I met you today at Cornell’s Cinema – just me and you and no one else and you left my heart wrenched and broken. A brokenness only your music has mended.  A brokenness only your lyrics can glue.

One thought on “A.bsolutely M.agnificent & Y.outhful – Amy’s story

1. As usual, a well-written piece that has given me insight into the affects of an artist’s narrative. While there are many things that I could quote you on, or state how much I agree, what I loved most about this piece was your willingness to form a relationship with someone who is no longer alive. Though the Director did a phenomenal job telling her story, Amy’s art is what now has your heart. Too often, I find that this experience – connecting with art, regardless if the artists knows – transcends time, place, race, et cetera. It all comes down to the experience. Your piece here is part of the reason I want to find artists who touch lives in immeasurable ways, and give them to the world! Thanks for the read.