The working hands behind the scenes

I remember when I was looking at pre-Orientation programs the summer before my freshman year, I was considering one that included working on a farm. “Why would you do that? You don’t like working in the dirt. You’ll be bored a couple days in,” my dad insisted. I ended up doing a different program, but I still think wonder why stigma and my lack of experience keeps me from trying it.

Justine Vanden Heuvel and Mary Jo Dudley’s discussion was insightful, but it made me a little sad to think how separated most of us in the room are from the production of our food, or how children today think food comes from Wegmans or Tops. If most of the farm workers are undocumented immigrants that have to avoid being sighted during heavy traffic on the highway, and most people have never been on a farm, food production is completely dehumanized.

I know there are many factors in this issue that I don’t understand, but I think there could be ways to slowly break down the stigma and become more connected with local farms. There are certain trends and desires in today’s society that could be complimented with visiting a local farm. The job may be difficult and dirty, but many people are trying to get in shape and live active lifestyles. Why burn energy at the gym creating nothing, when you can sweat picking apples or grapes, contributing to something that needs to be done? There may be little job advancement and low pay, but volunteering on the side, feeling more connected to nature, and observing a small part of the agriculture system in New York may be something more people will benefit from. This may be silly idealism, but I think people like me should get uncomfortable, get dirty, and see what it’s like for themselves.