Unlucky Lucky

I went to see Waiting For Godot as a requirement for my acting class, but I definitely would have wanted to see it anyways. I remember reading the play in high school. I stared at the pages in total confusion, waiting for something to happen. The repetitive, short snippets of dialogue didn’t come across to me as anything special. I’ve learned that to truly enjoy this play, it must be seen.

This production was filled with remarkable actors, but the one that really left an impression with me was Ilan Kwittken as Lucky. He interrupts the waiting of Gogo and Didi with a powerful entrance, staggering in with a rope across his shoulder while carrying two basket-like suitcases. Throughout the strange interaction with Gogo and Didi and Lucky’s master Pozzo, Kwittken spent the time in an exhausting stillness, legs should-width apart, facing the audience directly, and staring up to the sky with big, tired eyes. I’ve learned that stillness in acting is very difficult, and I was amazed both at his endurance and the expressiveness of his stage presence. I had trouble keeping up with the translation on the projector because I wanted to keep observing his lonely part of the scene. This was contrasted with his nine minute nonsensical speedy monologue. I don’t know how he had time to breathe in between all that!

Also, I actually thought Lucky was played by a woman at first, because I thought his face had feminine characteristics. I believe Pozzo even comments on his effeminate face in the beginning of their interaction with Didi and Gogo. That’s why I found it refreshing to see Kwittken in these awesome Youtube videos! Check them out!

I don’t know much about this Yiddish Troupe, but if they do any more production this year, I’ll be sure to see them.