Divisive, or Critical: Structural Holes

Link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/to-shatter-the-glass-ceiling-dont-force-it-1536379201?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

Source Commentary:  “To Shatter the Glass Ceiling, Don’t Force It” by John D. Stoll appeared in the Wall Street Journal on September 8, 2018 in the Business: On Business section.

Searching the internet for articles on game theory yields a number of surprising results, but, perhaps unsurprisingly, most are concentrated in academia. While these particular articles can be intriguing, and certainly peaked my own interest for further research on how the theory can be applied to business dilemmas, they do a poor job of reaching the masses: they are simply too complex for a “normal” person to consume on a daily basis. Narrowing my search to articles written by The Wall Street Journal, a source I frequently find myself scouring when I feel some motivation to educate myself on happenings beyond Cornell’s purview, I came across the above.

This article does not focus on the applicability of game theory to solving problems of any kind, rather, it peaked my interest because it mentions networks as an integral part of C-Suite life, specifically in the realm of female executives. Betsy Atkins, a member of the Board of Directors for Volvo Cars, points to the role this integration plays. She routinely meets with female employees and acts as a mentor for many women at the firm despite the CEO never asking for this help.

I found this interesting; has Ms. Atkins found a Structural Hole at Volvo? The short answer is perhaps: her mentoring of female employees allows her the three advantages associated with Structural Holes: early access to information in non-interacting parts of the firm, the possibility for innovations unclear or invisible when clouded with the opinions of other executives to shine through, and the ability to act as a gatekeeper by controlling the flow of information.

This begged the question: If Structural Holes exist significantly throughout Volvo, or any firm for that matter, how much synthesis is lost on the whole of the network? Networks facilitate the exchange of information at their core; while seemingly divisive, Structural Holes may be the origin of the world’s next greatest innovation.