Structural Balance Differences in Hyrax Social Networks

Article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130422122959.htm

This article follows the study of social network stability in a group of rock hyraxes (A small african mammal). The study shows that, like in human populations, hyrax social networks often follow the theory of structural balance. This theory states that in any network, certain relationships between a group of nodes are balanced while others are unbalanced and that those that are unbalanced will, in time, change to become balanced. For example, “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” and “the friend of my friend is my friend” are balanced networks. However, “the enemy of my friend is my friend” and “the enemy of my enemy is my enemy” are unbalanced networks. The study showed that hyraxes tend to form balanced networks or shift their unbalanced networks to balanced networks over time. However, contrary to the structural balance theory, the study showed that, in this population, a triad containing three enemies was balanced and did not resolve to a different triad.

These findings show that, in general, animals tend to gravitate towards structurally balanced networks. The article suggests that these networks form as a mechanism of social cohesion and a result of social evolution. While I believe this to be true in individuals, I would also argue that, in other circumstances, structural balance exists as a form of strategy. “The enemy of my enemy is my enemy” triad is an example of differences in the way that triads form. The hyraxes are able to form these triads and maintain structural balance because their networks are a mechanism for social cohesion rather than a strategic move. This is not, however, the case in different types of networks that exist as a strategy. For example, in war, where social cohesion and individual bonds are not the driving force of a network, “the enemy of my enemy is my enemy” is an unbalanced triad and more often than not shifts to a triad where “the enemy of my enemy is my friend”. This is shown by the network of the Allies in WWII, where otherwise non-positive relationships became positive in order to fight a common enemy. “The enemy of my enemy is my enemy” may be a balanced triad in purely social networks for individuals such as the hyraxes, but in strategy driven networks, that triad will (or should) often shift to a more balanced (and strategically effective) “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” triad.