One of the key tenants of IPM is knowing your pests, or potential pests, and risks. Learning opportunities become a valuable tool in helping to prepare for and prevent pest issues from arising. Happily, we live in a time when School IPM training events are easily accessible.
The EPA Center of Expertise for School IPM hosts a webinar series featuring national experts from across the country.
Upcoming webinars include:
- Nov 10, 2015 — Writing an IPM Policy for Your School District
- Dec. 15, 2015 — Bed Bugs in Schools
- Jan. 26, 2016 — Stop School Pests and iPestManager – School IPM Educational Programs
- Feb 23, 2016 — Procuring IPM-Based Pest Management Services
- Mar. 15, 2016 — IPM for Turf on School Grounds
- Apr. 19, 2016 — Vertebrate Turf Pests
- May 17, 2016 — Ants – The #1 Pest in Schools
- Jun. 7, 2016 — Termite Mitigation in Schools – A Holistic Approach
Previous events cover a variety of topics including head lice, stinging insects, rodents, conducting a school assessment, and school IPM basics. Webinar PDFs are available for all presentations and the recorded webinar is available for many.
The NYS IPM Program partners with local organizations such as BOCES and Cornell Cooperative Extension to provide staff training. Friday, October 30th, Orange-Ulster BOCES is hosting Pest Management for Today’s Schools Workshop. This and other events are listed on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/NYSIPM/events.