A Different Farmer’s Market

Last Saturday I finally had the opportunity to go to the Ithaca Farmer’s Market for the very first time. I had always heard good things about the Ithaca Farmer’s Market, so I was very excited to finally have the chance to go. I would certainly recommend going, for it was a great experience. There was lots of amazingly delicious food, as well as beautiful crafts. I also found myself wishing that I had a garden, since there were so many wonderful plants. Overall, it was a Saturday well spent, and I shall certainly return.

Being from upstate New York, I have been to plenty of farmer’s markets before, but I found the Ithaca one to be a bit different from the others that I have attended. The most notable difference was the enclosure. The farmer’s markets that I have been to before have all had their booths set up under temporary tent-like structures (much like the farmer’s market at Cornell). At the Ithaca Farmer’s Market, however, everything was set up in a wooden enclosure that appeared to be built for the purpose of housing the farmer’s market. This was also the first farmer’s market that I have attended where there were vendors selling crafts, in addition to the typical vendors selling food and plants. Maybe I just had never noticed them before, but the only place where I have seen a collection of craft vendors is at a crafts fair. I actually thought that their inclusion was nice, since it added in a bit more of a variety to the types of vendors present. I have always liked attending places like this, and the Ithaca Farmer’s Market was set up in a way that I enjoyed.

2 thoughts on “A Different Farmer’s Market

1. Hi Shannon,
    Every other Farmer’s Market that I’ve been to has also been set up temporary tents/structures or many tables under a giant tent. I think the wooden enclosure is a good sign as it hints at the importance given to the market and sustainable food production. It provides consumers with the option to buy local produce, which is usually beneficial to both the environment and the producer.
    I’ve never been to the Farmer’s Market in Ithaca, although I really want to go and try some of the food available there

2. Wow! I had no idea that the Farmer’s market was so big! It is great to hear about all of the produce produced within 30 miles of Ithaca. After reading your post, I wish I went to the Farmer’s market as I have never been to one before. I will have to go next year! I feel as if it will be a wonderful experience.